Poughkeepsie firefighters were on the run Thursday morning tackling two fires within hours of each other.
The first fire took place around 6:16 a.m. at 333 Mansion St., when a pile of clothes on the second floor of the home that was supposed to be vacant and off-limit following a fire at the same location on Saturday, said City of Poughkeepsie Fire Chief Mark Johnson.
Johnson said the fire, which was extinguished quickly, was caused by clothes that were not in the home on Saturday when a large refrigerator fire on the third-floor made the home inhabitable and left some 21 people displaced.
"The doors were supposed to be locked and the home vacant but firefighters found both the front and apartment doors open," the chief said.
He deemed the fire as not an accident. The home is posted as unsafe, all utility services have been shut off and no one should be in the building, he added.
The second fire broke out around 10:21 a.m. at 3 Manitou Ave. when a fire started in a second-floor bathroom, Johnson said.
Firefighters found that a ceiling fan in the room had malfunctioned and started the fire which spread to the attic.
Around 11 people were displaced by extensive smoke and water damage to the home and fire to the room of origin, Johnson said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.