Five adults and four children were left homeless after a fire ripped through a two-story duplex in the City of Poughkeepsie.
The fire, which started around 6:10 p.m. Monday, at 64 Talmadge St., began on the second-floor of the four-unit building, said City of Poughkeepsie Fire Chief Mark Johnson.
When crews arrived on scene they could see flames and smoke coming from the second-floor windows, he said.
All of the residents were able to self-evacuate as firefighters arrived, he said.
Johnson said the fire was under control by 6:40 p.m. and firefighters were wrapping up by 7:05 p.m.
The fire, which is under investigation, appears to have started in a front bedroom, but is not believed to be suspicious in nature, he added.
The Red Cross is assisting the residents displaced by the fire, Johnson said.
The department was assisted by Fairview and Arlington fire department and Mobile Life Services.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.