Nine people are without a home following a fire at a City of Poughkeepsie apartment house that completely destroyed one apartment and slightly damaged others with smoke.
The fire, which started around 9:25 p.m. Sunday, at the Garden Street Apartments, was caused by a malfunctioning gas stove, according to the City of Poughkeepsie Fire Chief Mark Johnson.
When firefighters arrived they encountered heavy smoke coming from the first floor of the three-story apartment building, Johnson said.
The fire completely destroyed the apartment, and slightly damaged the adjoining apartments, leaving nine people without homes, he added.
The residents with apartments that received smoke damage were able to retrieve necessary belongings before leaving, he added. No one was injured.
The displaced residents are being assisted by the Red Cross.
The apartment did not have any smoke detectors, Johnson noted. The department received assistance from MobileLife and Arlington and Fairview firefighters.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.