Nearly two dozen Orange and Dutchess County residents were charged Wednesday in a welfare fraud sweep by the Orange County District Attorney's Office.
District Attorney David M. Hoovler said that 23 people stole more than $220,000 in welfare benefits including everything from SNAP (food stamps) and child care benefits to Medicaid and Temporary Assistance help.
The 23 are the latest to be charged in a wide-ranging investigation into welfare fraud that has led to 185 individuals being charged with almost $2 million in fraud, Hoovler announced.
The investigation, which included the Orange County Sheriff's Office and the Orange County Department of Social Services Special Investigations Unit has resulted in the county being repaid $529,079.64 by criminal defendants who were charged in the enforcement actions, he added.
Those charged with welfare fraud or grand larceny included:
- Princess Lamb of Wappingers, $9,722.19
- Sandra Bailey of Newburgh, $34,848.75
- Kristy Bongers of Newburgh, $3,496.70
- Jesser Ruiz of Newburgh, $3,496.70
- Orane Bremmer of Newburgh, $7,298
- Jennifer Cinquemani of Monroe, $5,245.53
- Prisca LaPlante of Otisville, $19,673.00
- Andrea Davis of Newburgh, $6,893.01
- Ergan Dzeloski of Middletown, $1,923.65
- Ana Flores of Newburgh, $36,378.75
- Milo Mackey of Newburgh, $7,096
- Samantha Napoli of Newburgh, $2,606
- Michael Napoli of Newburgh, $2,606
- Lilian Ortega of Newburgh, $9,551.00
- Sharrise Scarboro of Middletown, $5,058
- Tacondria Dodson of Newburgh, $25,436.00
- Jialin Tian of Otisville, $6,460.00
- Nicholas Tsatsaron of Newburgh, $1,129.60 SNAP,
- Nancy Weissman of Newburgh, $18,531.65
- Andrea Whitney of Middletown, $5,245.64
- Foulichard Boyer of Newburgh, $9,517
“Stopping the theft of public monies, and recouping public money which has been fraudulently taken, has been a major priority of my Office since I became District Attorney,” said Hoovler. “The over one-half million dollars that has been recovered as a result of these enforcement actions can be used to provide public assistance to those who truly need it."
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.