This story has been updated.
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. -- A fire at a six-apartment home in the City of Poughkeepsie that was being used mostly for storage, started as a result of the owner using a kerosene space heater at 330 Mansion St, fire officials said.
The owner left the home shortly after starting the heater, leaving it burning, said Deputy Fire Chief Ed Decker.
"A small amount of kerosene was spilled and later caught fire," said Decker. "From there it traveled up the chase through the three-story building."
The structure received extensive damage to all three floors that was home to the owner and his brother, Decker added.
The fire, which began around 7:30 a.m., at the rear of the first floor, quickly moved to the second and third floors, he added.
The Arlington and Fairview Fire Departments assisted City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department firefighters in controlling the blaze.
"All of the firefighters did a fantastic job in eight-degree temperatures," Decker said.
Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control within about an hour and then remained on scene to douse any hot spots, Decker said.
The owner received several violations. No was injured, the home was a total loss, officials said.
Coverage of the City of Poughkeepsie firehouses was provided by the Highland, Roosevelt and Arlington fire departments.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.