POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. -- Firefighters encountered flames and heavy smoke when they responded to an attic apartment fire about noon Sunday, according to the city of Poughkeepsie Fire Department.
Arriving firefighters from Group 3, Engine 2 and Truck 2 entered the home fire at 24 Hoffman Ave. but were driven back outside by the flames and smoke, said Deputy Chief Ed Decker.
Firefighters worked the flames from outside the three-story wood frame home until they could return inside to douse the remaining hot spots, said Decker.
One firefighter received minor burns during the initial entry, but no residents were injured, he added.
It took a little over two hours before the fire was brought under control. It's believed the fire was started by a faulty electrical outlet, Decker said.
At least six residents were left homeless as a result of the fire, Decker added.
Firefighters from Arlington and Fairview assisted city of Poughkeepsie firefighters at the scene.Roosevelt, Arlington and New Hamburg helped provided standby coverage.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.