A 57-year-old Poughkeepsie woman is in critical condition following an intense fire on Wednesday that also injured two firefighters, according to Assistant Fire Chief Edward Decker.
The fire, which started around 4:54 p.m. at 99 Hooker Ave., was hardly visible to firefighters when they arrived on scene, but exploded when firefighters opened the door to the woman's apartment where the fire started, Decker said.
The woman was almost completely engulfed in flames when firefighter Steve Bauer reached inside to rescue her, losing his gloves and receiving second-degree burns in the process, Decker said.
Another elderly resident was trapped inside a second-floor apartment that firefighters were able to successfully rescue, Decker said.
With the help of the Arlington and Fairview fire departments, the fire was under control by 5:30 p.m., with another firefighter being sent to the hospital for smoke inhalation, he added.
The woman is being treated at the MidHudson Burn Center. One firefighter was released, the other is still being treated.
At least six residents required help from the Red Cross due to the fire, smoke and water damage to the residence.
The fire was started by a cigarette, Decker said.
The department was also assisted by Roosevelt and New Hamburg fire departments who covered their stations.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.