Contact Us
Southwest Dutchess Daily Voice serves Beacon, East Fishkill, Fishkill, LaGrange, Poughkeepsie, Wappinger & Wappingers Falls

Menu

Southwest Dutchess Daily Voice serves Beacon, East Fishkill, Fishkill, LaGrange, Poughkeepsie, Wappinger & Wappingers Falls

Nearby Towns

  • Putnam
    serves Brewster, Carmel-Kent, Cold Spring, Mahopac, Patterson & Putnam Valley
  • Northwest Dutchess
    serves Clinton, Hyde Park, Milan, Pleasant Valley, Red Hook & Rhinebeck
  • East Dutchess
    serves Amenia, Beekman, Dover, Millbrook, North East, Pawling, Pine Plains, Stanford, Union Vale & Washington
Breaking News: Motorcyclist Ejected From Vehicle In Town Of Poughkeepsie Crash
news

Program Will Allow Two Dutchess Farms To Stay In Operation

Brookby Farm is a 49-acre property that is home to a 200-year-old, seventh-generation dairy farm.
Brookby Farm is a 49-acre property that is home to a 200-year-old, seventh-generation dairy farm. Photo Credit: Contributed

DUTCHESS COUNTY, N.Y. -- Two local farms will be able to continue operating permanently thanks to a Dutchess County funding program that will protect the farms located in Dover and Amenia.

"Agriculture is a vital, diverse and growing economic engine in Dutchess County, and our Partnership for Manageable Growth Program allows us to strategically preserve farming as an industry," said Dutchess County Executive Molinaro said when he announced the funding. "Our support will position these farms well for the future of the industry while allowing each to continue a centuries-old tradition in Dutchess County.”

The farms include:

* Brookby Farm in the Town of Dover is a 49-acre property that is home to a 200-year-old, seventh-generation dairy farm. The family-owned and run farm produced and sold over 800 gallons of raw milk in the first two months of receiving its raw-milk license.

In addition to milk, there is a farm store on site, where eggs, chicken, beef and pork raised on the farm are sold, as well as products from other area farms including honey, maple syrup, and locally roasted coffee.

The total cost of the acquisition of a conservation easement at Brookby Farm is $266,792. The county’s program funding will provide the 50 percent of the cost $133,396, and the Dutchess Land Conservancy (DLC) is working with partners to secure the remaining 50 percent, or $133,396.

* Destined Wind Farm in Amenia is a 232.5-acre, family-owned dairy farm that includes an active 100-plus cow dairy, 75 acres for hay production, 53 acres for corn production and 23 acres of pasture.

The farm produces a little over one million pounds of milk each year and sells that milk to Marcus Dairy. In addition, the farm yields about 600 tons of haylage, 800 tons of corn silage, and 150 to 200 round bales each year, which is used to support the farm.

The total estimated cost of the acquisition of a conservation easement is $1,727,950. The county’s funding will provide 30 percent of the total acquisition costs, at $518,385. DLC will seek funding for the remaining 70 percent, or $1,209,565, from the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets.

“Each of the projects is a prime example of why the Partnership for Manageable Growth Program was established: to protect farms that have an important impact on Dutchess County," said County Planning Board Chairman Hans Klingzahn.

Welcome to

Southwest Dutchess Daily Voice!

Serves Beacon, East Fishkill, Fishkill, LaGrange, Poughkeepsie, Wappinger & Wappingers Falls

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.