DUTCHESS COUNTY, N.Y. -- The name change of the Marist mascot and the beating death of a man in Poughkeepsie topped the news for the week.
After more than 38 years of romping across basketball courts and football fields, Marist College in Poughkeepsie has quietly changed the name of its school mascot from "Shooter," to "Frankie the Fox," prompting some not happy about the change to post an online petition. Click here to read the story.
City of Poughkeepsie police announced that the identity of a man found bound and beaten to death has been uncovered. Click here to read the story.
Here are some of the other top stories of the week (click on the link to read the story):
- Putnam County District Attorney Robert Tendy has been appointed as the special prosecutor in a Poughkeepsie homicide case because a Dutchess County assistant district attorney will serve as a witness in the case, according to Dutchess County District Attorney William Grady.
- A 40-year-old man is facing up to five years in prison after pleading guilty to utilizing a Dutchess County home as a grow house to traffic marijuana.
- Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corp. is warning Hudson Valley customers to be on alert as they stand in solidarity with utility companies in support of Utilities United Against Scams.
- A Westchester man will spend the rest of his life behind bars after being given the maximum sentence after pleading guilty to the violent murder of a Rockland County man near his Nanuet home last summer.
- Follow Dutchess Daily Voice @DVDutchess by clicking here.
- For real-time Dutchess news updates in your Facebook feed, be sure to "Like" Daily Voice's Dutchess County Forum page on Facebook by clicking here.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.