FISHKILL, N.Y. -- Fishkill Rural Cemetery dedicated a new historic marker and conducted ceremonies to mark its 150th anniversary Saturday.
Wreaths were placed on the graves of the primary founder, James Van Steenbergh, and Dr. Lewis H. White, the board of trustees’ first president.
The wreath-laying was followed by the dedication of a new historic marker denoting the cemetery’s century and a half of service to the community.
Blodgett Library Local History Librarian Antonia Houston presented “The First Families of Fishkill,” a short program commemorating the lives of the first plot owners, in the historic DuBois Chapel.
The cemetery was first dedicated on Oct. 17, 1866. More than 3,000 people attended the original ceremonies. Approximately 20,000 residents have been buried in the cemetery since it was established.
The facilities are located at 801 U.S. 9.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.