POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. -- This year’s National Volunteer Week sponsored by the Dutchess-Orange United Way, runs through Friday and there are a variety of opportunities in the Hudson Valley for residents to volunteer and support the community.
A nationwide celebration, National Volunteer Week draws people together with one common goal; taking action and encouraging individuals and their respective communities to be the center for change.
There will be 10 different nonprofit agencies and organizations participating in National Volunteer Week in the Hudson Valley:
- Hudson Valley Seed will have volunteers from Target and Paychex help expand the garden at South Avenue Elementary School.
- Catholic Charities will have volunteers from JC Penny sorting and organizing inventory.
- Cornerstone Family Healthcare, formerly known as The Greater Hudson Valley Family Health Center, will have volunteers from Walden Savings Bank and Ball Corporation help sort, organize and take inventory of Encore store.
- Art Centro will have volunteers from Marist College paint stairwells, walls and floors.
- Community Family Development will have volunteers from Marist College help with classroom cleaning.
- Dress for Success will have volunteers from Hannaford and Mount Saint Mary College help sort and organize inventory.
- The Boys & Girls Club of Newburgh will have volunteers from Enterprise, Macy’s and Carter MGM Insurance Agency help build an outdoor garden.
- Hudson River Housing will have volunteers from Dutchess County College, Young Leaders United and Hudson Valley Young Professionals work on cleaning up the Middle Man area of Poughkeepsie.
- The Food Bank of the Hudson Valley will have volunteers from Hannaford in LaGrange, Ball Corporation, Central Hudson, Brigger Security and Macy’s sort through food, donations and organize inventory.
- In conjunction with Earth Day -- on Saturday, April 23 -- Safe Harbors on the Hudson will have several organizations participate in the annual Newburgh Community Clean Up. This event is open to the public. For more information, go to http://bit.ly/nvw2016-newburghcleanup .
Volunteers from the community are encouraged to participate and join in on a day of volunteerism of their choice through United Way’s Volunteer Portal.
For a list of opportunities, go to http://volunteer.uwdor.org .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.