POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – Dutchess County Public Safety Dispatcher Mary Anne Baker was named the county’s EMS Communications Specialist of the Year on Wednesday by the Emergency Medical Services Council, according to a statement from the county government.
The annual awards, given at the Dutchess County Department of Emergency Response, recognized a number of county emergency personnel while highlighting their important role in the community, according to the statement.
“Congratulations to all of this year’s award recipients, especially our own Mary Anne Baker,” said Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro. “The services provided by Ms. Baker and all of our first responders should never go unrecognized. We are grateful for their unwavering contributions and sacrifices to their community and Dutchess County.”
Baker, selected for the honor because of her handling of an incident involving a child asphyxiation call, used the training she had received as an emergency dispatcher to instruct the mother over the phone on the best method to clear the child’s airway.
At the same time, according to the county’s statement, Baker kept the mother calm during the high-stress event.
Among the other honorees recognized Wednesday was the Dutchess Community College Emergency Medical Services Program, which earned the Excellence in EMS Quality and Safety award, according to the county.
Dutchess County Commissioner of Emergency Response Dana Smith said he was pleased to celebrate the achievements of the county’s first responders.
“Throughout Dutchess County, we continue to work alongside our local agencies to deliver the best and most efficient services to our residents,” he said.
The full list of honorees recognized Wednesday includes:
- Basic Life Support Provider of the Year Mary Greenlese, EMTB, J.H.Ketcham, Adriana Desantis, EMTB, Mobile Life Support Services/NDP
- Advanced Life Support Provider of the Year Kelly Kohler, EMTP, EMStar/Arlington Fire Department
- EMS Agency of the Year Roosevelt Fire District Rescue Squad BLSMobile Life Support Services ALS
- Harriet C. Weber EMS Leadership Award Michael Quinn, East Fishkill Rescue Squad
- EMS Educator of Excellence Sal Mauro, EMTP, Northern Dutchess Paramedics
- EMS Communications Specialist of the Year Mary Anne Baker, EMD, Dutchess County Emergency Response
- Excellence in EMS Quality and Safety Dutchess Community College Emergency Medical Services Programs
- Registered Professional Nurse of Excellence Laura Santiago, RN, EMTB, Mid-Hudson Regional Hospital/East Fishkill Fire Department
- Physician of Excellence Mark Papish, MD, Mid-Hudson Regional Hospital
While selecting Mauro as the 2016 EMS Educator of Excellence, the Hudson Valley Regional Emergency Medical Services Council forwarded his application on to the New York State Department of Health's Bureau of Emergency Medical Services for statewide consideration, according to the statement.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.